This is the fastest, easiest and dare I say tastiest vegetarian lasagne I have ever made. I have dabbled with mushrooms, eggplants, butternut squash….but this is it for me.
Now that we are heading into summer time and the abundance of delicious greens are here, this is a lovely way to use lots in one go. I am always looking for ways to smuggle some extra greens into my little ones food. . I used spinach and swiss chard but whatever green veg you have will work.
This also tastes fantastic at room temperature and would be great cut into squares for a messy picnic lunch. Warning…it is pretty cheesy.
Time: 40 minutes prep, 45 minutes in the oven
- Large frying pan
- Deep, rectangular baking dish
- Dried lasagne sheets (8-10)
- 1 can of good quality chopped or plum tomatoes
- 1/2 jar of sundried tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tubs ricotta cheese or other soft cheese (400g-500g).
- Black pepper
- 3 leeks or 1 large white onion thinly sliced
- 2 large or 3 medium courgettes grated
- 750g – 1 kilo of greens roughly chopped- chard, spinach, kale, spring greens, sprout tops, nettles etc
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 – 2 balls mozzarella
- 3-4 tbsp grated hard cheese
- Turn on the oven to 200 C fan.
- Add a layer of olive oil to a large frying pan so that there is approx 1cm / 1 little fingers depth across (low to medium heat). Add the thinly sliced leek or onion. Once softened but not coloured add the grated courgette and combine in the pan. Once softened but not coloured, add the greens, combining them and letting them wilt down. Add 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp black pepper.
- Meanwhile in a blender, blitz together the can of tomatoes, the sun dried tomatoes, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp salt, a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil. If you do not have a blender, you can try mashing the tomatoes and then beating in the other ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Back to the courgettes / greens mix. Tip the soft cheese into the pan, 1 tsp nutmeg and the lemon zest and mix well. Check it is seasoned enough and add a bit more salt if needed.
In your baking dish layer as follows: –
- Tomato sauce – tear over basil leaves
- Layer of pasta sheets
- The cheese and greens mixture – tear over more basil leaves
- Layer of pasta sheets
- The rest of the tomato sauce
- Tear over the mozzarella, sprinkle over the cheese add some whole basil leaves, black pepper and drizzle with olive oil
Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes / until the top is golden and crispy.
Serve with a fresh and crisp salad with a lemony dressing.